RHR Handyman Services Columbus Ohio
General Moving Tips
Here are some helpful residential moving tips:
- Book your move in cleaning for your NEW place.
- Book your move out cleaning for your OLD place.
- Book your moving day with your movers as soon as possible.
- Don't stock up on groceries right before you move. Now's a perfect time to defrost your freezer.
- Remove all your drawers from the dressers. You can keep your belongs in the drawers or you can store them in a separate box. Dresser drawers are like their own moving boxes — this will keep you from having to unpack and re-fold their contents. It’ll also make moving the actual dresser much more manageable
- Keep sandwich bags handy for holding any small parts of things you have to take apart, like curtain rods or mounted flat-screen TVs.
Kitchen and Bathrooms
- Check your owner's manual for moving large appliances
Toss or Donate Items
- Go through your belongings a few months in advance and gather items you no longer want. Toss items that need junked and or make ready for donation. Another man's trash is another man's treasure!
- Clean your closets, the attic and the basement as soon as possible.
Moving Items to Storage
- IF YOU'RE MOVING ITEMS INTO A STORAGE UNIT - never store boxed food items; belive it or not, small rodents will make their way to your items.
Saving on the Moving Cost
- Make sure everything is completely packed before the movers show up.
- If money is tight move your clothes using your own vehicle instead of having the movers move it; or you could purchase clothes boxes or you could place items in your drawers in a suitcase or a large sturdy garbage bag.
- You can cut down on boxes by making all of your baskets, laundry bins, hampers, and suitcases work in place of boxes.
Change Your Mailing Address
- Change your address with USPS at least two weeks prior to moving. Don't forget to notify all your creditors, utility bills, magazine and newspaper subscriptions.
- If you have children, don't forget to arrange for the new school.
- Remember to schedule disconnections for your old place and connections for your new place.